Without Borders...

Abby and Sara have been best friends since they met in the dorms at Colorado State University in 2002. Each year since then, they have been on at least one trip together, with the last few years consisting of backpacking travels through Europe.

In 2010, they decided to put their desire to see the world towards a more constructive cause. Instead of taking an adventurous vacation, they chose to visit Tanzania and volunteer with Light in Africa for five weeks.

This winter, they are going back to Light in Africa to volunteer for another five weeks, and can't wait to see how much "their" kids have grown!

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Baby Shower?

People don’t really surprise me too often, but over the weekend, I was blown away. My parents were nice enough to throw me a going away/birthday party, and we had a very nice turnout of friends and family bearing gifts. The gifts were not for my birthday however, (which was perfect – I’m not 12) the gifts were for my unknown African babies. In all actuality, it turns out I hosted a co-ed baby shower with a keg of bud light and a bonfire.

People brought school supplies, story books, coloring books, board games, soccer balls, diapers, shoes, shirts and almost everything in between (see picture). I can not wait to see the look on everyone’s face when I open up the suitcase, and I’m able to tell the kids about the wonderful people across the ocean that care about them enough to buy them presents, without ever meeting them.

As Abby mentioned earlier – we not only reached our donation goal of $3000 for Light in Africa, we were able to surpass it. We still have not decided how we are going to allocate the funding, but we are very anxious to get to the facilities, see what the needs are, and go from there. Please consider helping out, if you haven’t done so already, and I promise we will do our best to make sure you are able to witness the positive results right along with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment