Without Borders...

Abby and Sara have been best friends since they met in the dorms at Colorado State University in 2002. Each year since then, they have been on at least one trip together, with the last few years consisting of backpacking travels through Europe.

In 2010, they decided to put their desire to see the world towards a more constructive cause. Instead of taking an adventurous vacation, they chose to visit Tanzania and volunteer with Light in Africa for five weeks.

This winter, they are going back to Light in Africa to volunteer for another five weeks, and can't wait to see how much "their" kids have grown!

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

We're Heeerrreeee!


Sunday, 11/25/12

I’ve been here less than twelve hours, and already, I feel right at home.  I say “I’ve been”, because Abby’s flight to Amsterdam got cancelled and she had to catch a flight out later Saturday night, and wouldn’t be arriving until this morning.

So…I spent my first night back at Light in Africa alone, and as much as I was dreading my first night here by myself, I was so excited to be back.  Paul (used to be in charge of the boys home, Pilgrim) now handles the volunteers and runs Torchbearer (more on that later), and when I saw him at the airport to pick me up, I gave a small skip, even hauling the 200 lbs of luggage with me. 

As soon as we started talking, the laughter and smiles were immediate (it’s hard to not smile when you’re around people who are pumping out pure joy with every breath)!  Paul said he was afraid I’d be shy and quite this time, but he had no such luck.  I may have even clapped about three different times on the drive to Tudor Village from the airport. 

As soon as Paul got done showing me Abby’s and my new home for the next five weeks, (yesss – didn’t have to stay in a tent at all this time!), I took an amazing cold shower and slept for the first time since 7am Friday morning.  Thanks to some very friendly birds, I was awake at sunrise.  I said hello to a baby lizard next to the light switch in our room, walked around the volunteer area of the village for a bit, saw Mt. Kilimanjaro, and did everything I could to not go running over the kids area.  I heard them laughing while I was eating a solo breakfast, and couldn’t quit grinning from ear to ear.  I’m sure the very nice man who cooks for us thought I was crazy.

Paul and I (and Tatti – our familiar cab driver) went to pick up Abby from the Kilimanjaro International Airport this morning, and now that she’s here too, this place got even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment