Without Borders...

Abby and Sara have been best friends since they met in the dorms at Colorado State University in 2002. Each year since then, they have been on at least one trip together, with the last few years consisting of backpacking travels through Europe.

In 2010, they decided to put their desire to see the world towards a more constructive cause. Instead of taking an adventurous vacation, they chose to visit Tanzania and volunteer with Light in Africa for five weeks.

This winter, they are going back to Light in Africa to volunteer for another five weeks, and can't wait to see how much "their" kids have grown!

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Keeping the food kitchen open

In Sara's last post she mentioned a very generous donation, and what was done with it. I thought I would share the last post from the organization itself: http://www.lightinafrica.org/blog/index.php?entry=entry121007-100557. Thanks to this generous support, the food kitchen was able to stay open in this severe drought, which is truly amazing.

Working there 2 years ago, I can still remember the faces of those many kids coming from school to have their only meal of the day thanks to Light in Africa. It bring smiles and tears to face all at the same time - thinking what would have happened, had they not stayed open and thinking about those lively kids coming to the food kitchen.

So I just thought I'd add that short link and also thank our generous donator!

As for me, I have had 4 weeks of pure stress and I having finally been able to sit down and think about what my stress is compared to those kids at LIA. Where they are worried where to get the next meal, I am well fed (much too well), healthy, and spoiled. Looking forward to getting grounded again soon ... and seeing all those smiles at the food kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment